It’s that time of year when ghosts and goblins and witches can be seen on every corner. When the bright orange autumn leaves glow against the full moon and the dogs howl raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Yes, my friends, it’s Halloween time! Time to figure out what party you will be attending and most important of all…what costume you will be wearing!
For many people, the costume is the best part of Halloween. It’s fun to dress up and be someone else for one night. To add a touch of sassiness to your costume, glow in the dark nail polish makes a great accessory! It’s easy to purchase some at the store, but if you want to save a little money and make your own, the following instructions will help you create your own glow in the dark nail polish.
- First you will need the following supplies:
- Glow in the dark pigment in your choice of color (you can find these in craft sections of most stores or in hobby stores.)
- Empty bottles with small ball bearings inside.
- Or you can get clear nail polish and toothpicks for mixing. (Do not use colored nail polish as it will not glow properly.)
- Lacquer Base for DIY polishes.
- First, cut a small piece of paper into a square. Roll it into a funnel and then tape it with a small piece of transparent tape. Cut a small piece off the bottom and then cut a little off the top to even it out.
- Put funnel in nail polish bottle. At this point, you can choose to use either a clear topcoat or you can use an empty bottle.
- Add the pigment powder to the bottle using the funnel. If using an empty bottle, add lacquer base and fill just until below the top of the bottle. Put the lid back on and shake vigorously until mixture is evenly distributed.
- If using a clear topcoat nail polish, add pigment through funnel and then use a toothpick to stir until the powder is completely dissolved and color is even.
This is one of the easiest ways to make your own glow in the dark nail polish and will last you the longest, but there are other ways as well. One of those ways is by using a glow in the dark tube. Now do realize that these tubes will lose color within a matter of hours and can’t be recharged, so if you use this method, it will be for a one-time use.
- You will need the following supplies:
- 1 glow stick
- 1 bottle of nail polish (partly full)
- Sharp scissors
- Strainer (tightly woven material recommended)
- A clear nail polish will give you the best glow, but you can use a colored polish as long as it’s the same color as the glow stick. For example, if the glow stick is green, use green nail polish.
- To activate the glow stick, you will need to snap it and then shake it. After color is activated, snip off one end carefully.
- Place a strainer over the bottle. It is best to use a tightly woven cloth as the glow sticks contain glass bottles and you don’t want glass in your nail polish. Pour glow stick liquid into your bottle until almost full.
- Close the bottle and shake it rapidly for at least one minute. Then go ahead and paint your nails as you normally would. Do realize that it takes longer for this type of nail polish to dry, so plan accordingly.
Another way to make your polish is by using UV-reactive/black light eye shadow. Do realize, though, that this nail polish will only glow under a black light. If you are attending an event where you know a black light will be used, then this method will work.
- For this method of DIY glow in the dark nail polish, you will need the following items:
- UV-reactive/black light eye shadow (powdered, not cream based. Found in beauty supply stores)
- Clear acrylic nail polish (only ½ way full)
- Plastic Ziploc bag
- 2-3 small ball bearings
- Box cutter
- Remove the preferred color from the case. This can be done using a box cutter to remove the metal casing or small spoon to scoop out the powder.
- Put the eye shadow into a plastic bag and crush. Use the back of the spoon and gently crush until it resembles a fine sand. If it’s too grainy, you won’t get a smooth application.
- Put small bearings into clear nail polish bottle. Then snip off small corner of plastic bag and insert into opening of the bottle. Pour all the powder into the bottle.
- Close lid and shake vigorously until the color is evenly distributed.
- Apply nail polish as you normally would. Again, this takes extra time to dry, so give it the necessary time to do this.
- Apply a clear top coat as this nail polish will chip easily.
The next step is the application process. Depending on the design you have chosen, there are several different ways to apply the polish. If you want your nails to be all one color, it is best to first apply a white polish to the nails. Then apply at least two coats of the glow in the dark nail polish. Drying it in the sunlight or under a black light will charge the pigment and make it glow.
This nail polish also looks great if you start out with a black base coat and then add glow in the dark designs to the top of it. Some great ideas to use are skeletons, stars, eyes, tiger stripes, tie-dye or even just flecks or spatters of the color. Get creative and have fun!
These three different methods of making your own glow in the dark nail polish all have their advantages and disadvantages, so planning ahead will help you to achieve the best effect. No matter which way you choose, you can be assured that you will have some of the best and sassiest nails at the party!